Celebrating world Apple day, 21st October with a delicious and comforting cake. Using almost all parts of the apple to make a real treat. No waste!
Happy Apple day!
Apple and Calvados Cake recipeprep time: 30 minutes + baking time (50mins)
Medium Bundt cake mould - 1L
2 cups chopped apple (250g); I used Bramley - reserve the skins
1 cup caster sugar, 200g
2 large whole organic eggs, 120g
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour, 180g
1/2 cup flavourless oil, 200 ml
35ml of Calvados
1. pre-heat the oven to 170C. prepare a bundt cake tin grease and flour it.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl - reserve
3. In a blender, add the apple skins, eggs, oil, vanilla extract and Calvados. Blend very well, until the apple skins are very fine.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula, until well combined. Place in the prepared tin.
5 - Bake in a greased pan for about 50 minutes
6. Let it cool for 10 min, in the meantime make the caramel sauce
Calvados Salted caramel sauce
1 cup brown sugar, 200g
6 tablespoons salted butter, cut up into 6 pieces, 100g
1/2 cup heavy/double cream, 120ml
1 teaspoon salt, I use Maldon
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of Calvados
Place all ingredients, except the Calvados a pan let the sugar dissolve cook for 5 minutes, switch off the heat and add Calvados. Drizzle over the warm cake.
Tip, caramel sauce:
It will keep a couple of weeks in the fridge and 1 day out of the refrigerator.
Until next time why not join me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook…X