I've been avoiding shopping in the supermarkets lately as I am always tempted to buy things I don't really need. But one thing I don't skimp on is ice cream. I just adore the cold, creamy feel in the mouth and there are some delightful flavours out there.
The new flavour for Autumn/Winter 2016 from Häagen-Dazs with Honey Walnut & Cream is out now. It's made of natural ice cream with a honey sauce, real cream and crunchy caramelised walnuts. The ratio is honey swirl (10%) and caramelised walnuts (7%), just perfect!
Even though there are a few more ingredients than the original cream flavour, it is a quite simple confection. It is delectable! The honey swirl is placed evenly in the pot. It's a sweet in a right way and amount. The chewy walnut breaks the creaminess - again the right amount of nuts.
Häagen-Dazs rates highly at home. But I must say that I feel rather sad that 500ml goes so quickly so to make it last longer and serve more people I came up with a solution - transform it into a more substantial dessert. Nothing too complicated, it's only assembling all ingredients together.
This recipe has some of my preferred sweets all-in-one!
It's a heavenly mix of sweet, crisp Italian ladyfingers (Savoiardi), ice cream and a very light meringue crowning this dessert - making it rather special.
Meringue and Ice, recipeServes: 6
1 tub of Häagen-Dazs ice cream, 500ml
1/2 pack of Savoiardi, Italian sponge fingers, about 12 fingers
2-3 egg whites, beaten into firm peaks
30g of icing sugar (powdered sugar), 2 tablespoons
1) start by letting the ice cream to get soft out the freezer for 15-20 minutes maximum
2) Cut the sponge fingers in half and place on the wall of the baking moulds or glasses, 9cm diameter.
3) add the soften ice cream in the centre to cover the biscuits make sure that the ice cream gets in all the crannies.
4) place the baking moulds in the freezer for at least a couple of hours.
5) 10 minutes before serving, beat the egg whites to form firm peaks with the sugar. Take the baking moulds out of the freezer and slowly but firmly take the ice cream and biscuits out them. Spread or pipe the meringue over the ice cream- I do it free form!
6) Place them on an oven-proof plate and let them cook slightly till golden under the grill, it's a very quick process (about 2-3 minutes). Keep an eye on them!
7) Serve immediately! Enjoy!
Disclosure: This post has been sponsor by Häagen-Dazs. All views, writing, photos and recipe are Hot&Chilli - thanks