Since my childhood I always eaten it in dessert-like dishes, and not so much in savouries recipes. Milkshakes, smoothies, natural sprinkled with sugar, avocado smoothered in condensed milk, mousse, etc. to name a few dishes. Avocado is rich in fibre 10g in on medium-sized fruit, and it comes with its natural packaging ideal for transportation. Known for its very high fat content, it has good-for-you fat that boosts good cholesterol and lowers bad cholesterol. Avocado in itself is cholesterol-free as well as being gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarianIts suh a versatile and vegan. An avocado serving, about 2 tablespoons, is about 50 calories and packed full of nutrients and flavour. Another avocado property is an anti-ageing ingredient and a cheap one too!
How to peel an avocado to get most of the nutrients as possible, the nick-and-peel method:
'The first step in the nick-and-peel method is to cut into the avocado lengthwise, producing two long avocado halves that are still connected in the middle by the seed. Next you take hold of both halves and twist them in opposite directions until they naturally separate. At this point, remove the seed and cut each of the halves lengthwise to produce long quartered sections of the avocado. You can use your thumb and index finger to grip the edge of the skin on each quarter and peel it off, just as you would do with a banana skin. The final result is a peeled avocado that contains most of that dark green outermost flesh so rich in carotenoid antioxidants!'*
6 quick and tasty avocado recipes
|avocado and crab soup|
1)Avocado and crab soup: blend 2 avocados with 300ml of vegetable stock, 300ml of coconut milk, juice of half of a lime, a sprig of coriander, dash of olive oil and season well. Serve either hot or cold. Garnish with crab meat. This recipe is based on a Colombian called crema de aguacate.
2) Avocado cream: a Brazilian favourite a mouth-watering and creamy mix of equal parts of avocado and milk with a touch of sugar (to taste). Another version, also very popular in Brazil is the use of condensed milk, instead of sugar - naughty, very naught but so nice!
|avocado pasta sauce|
4) Avocado Pasta sauce : just add half of mashed avocado per portion with a dash of lemon, above I also added spinach. The avocado will melt into the pasta, making all the ingredients come together. Delicious!
5) Avocado spread or dip: mash avocado roughly and mix with lime and a drizzle of olive oil, season well and use as a spread. Above, used as bruschetta topped with boiled egg.
6) Avocado salads: and adding avocado to salads is another way to enjoy this cool, smooth and creamy vegetable:and another bruschetta this time topped with avocado and fried egg: Disclosure: I was sent a basket full of great Hass avocados to try at home by Delicious Hass Avocados . I was not asked or paid to write this post.
* - retrieved from www.whfoods.com, 'the lastest news about avocado'