300 gr quality dark chocolate min 70% cocoa
15 cardamom pods seeded, crushed - discard the husks
6 free range eggs, separated, beat the yolks and whisk the whites till stiff
100gr grounded Brazil nuts - blitz them in a food processor
1/2 tsp coarsely ground dries red chillies
175gr butter softened
25gr plain flour
yield: 8-10 servings
5 tbsp sugar
8 whole dried chillies
15 whole cardamom pods
23cm spring form cake tin, parchment paper, 2 bowls and 1 pan for bain-marie and 1 for the syrup.
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Grease and line the bottom of the mould with parchment paper
3. Melt the chocolate gently in bain-marie, the bowl shouldn't touch the simmering water.
4. Add the pounded cardamom seeds to the melted chocolate, set aside to cool
5. Mix the grounded Brazil nuts, softened butter, sugar, chillies, the flour well and then add the egg yolks lightly beaten.
6. In a mixing bowl whisk eggs whites till stiff and mix into the above batter mixture very gently.
7. Add the melted chocolate and cardamom to the batter.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared mould and bake for 45-55mins.
while the cake is baking - prepared the syrup:
Heat the water, the sugar, cardamon pods and chillies till a syrup forms. Set aside.
Pour the syrup over the warm cake.
serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.